Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Little Junk Journaling Fun

Junk Journaling on a cold night in Nova Scotia
The moderators at 14 Secrets have been discussing possible Recipe Book ideas.  We were inspired by something on Teesha Moore's The Artstronauts Club website.  She had this idea for a friends and/or  family holiday art exchange, where everyone has a recycled bag journal or junk journal and everyone makes recipe cards for all the group members to put in their journal.  Like handing out Valentines or an ATC swap but you create a journal to keep them in and there could variety with size since group members would be gluing the cards into their art/junk/gluebook journal.  If you are a member of The Artstronauts Club then you have access to Teesha's Junk Journal tutorial.  I watched the tutorial and got totally caught up in the process.  So fun!

But here's the summary if you aren't a member.  First, Teesha took Mary Ann Moss's "Remains of the Day" eCourse, and adapted it.  Basically she wanted her journal to lie flatter than the Remains of the Day journal.  She went through a variety of journals in her video, going from machine sewed with cloth covers, to hand sewn with no covers.  I liked the hand sewing part, because if I can, I avoid my sewing machine as much as possible.  I decided that I would like a cover, so I created cover with an Esopus Magazine (great quality paper, images, etc.) and gaffers tape (hockey tape up here).

Tape the outside and inside with cloth gaffers tape, creating spine.

I collected up a bunch of papers, and insides of old books and magazines, and created one fat signature.  Maybe 20 sheets.



Then I marked where I wanted to poke holes in the spine, about an inch apart but then when it came down to it the easiest way to do it was to poke the holes and stitch as I went along.  I'd poke through all the paper and spine with  my awl, and then put the needle through that bunch of holes.  I used heavy waxed craft thread, maybe it was hemp.  In the end I had created 18 holes.

A while back I had taken a Junquey Journal eCourse from Mystele (very, very inspiring) in which I learned about the super awesome tool that spits out doubled sided tape as easy as anything, and strong.  So no stitching needed anywhere inside your journal pages.


Although this was super easy to do, there are plenty of other easy junk/smash/glue book type journal structures which you might like even better.

Gretchen Miller has a few ideas in her download (with links to video tutorial).  And of course there's the Easy Peasy Journal from Samie Harding, aka Journal Girl

4 comments:

basia said...

Lani, you're the bestest ever!

Unknown said...

Gotta get one of those double sided glue gliders- that's awesome--- i always love your book binding... junk journaling + a warm fire = heaven! -gretchen

Sue Marrazzo said...

LOOKS cool! THX for sharing ( :

Hannah said...

What a gorgeous journal--and the imagery + your fire in the background make me think of the Dutch Still life painters.