Thursday, October 11, 2007

How do you embellish your life?



Over at 14 Secrets Carol has been posting a secret a week to think about.
This week was week two, secret #2.
(To find all of Lani's 14 secrets, go to the files.
Click on the group guide.
It is in the helpful info files.)

Secret #2
Reflecting upon:
Make Everything Special.
Embellish Your Life.

Lani said:
Secret #2 Make everything special, Embellish your life.
Sometimes just noticing your life as it unfolds is really nice, but for fun I use candle light at dinner and I have Christmas tree lights around the dining room window and around the living room as well.
Fun!

Patti said:
on the way up the studio steps every morning I plug in a strand of butterfly lights that trail across the ledge in front of the attic window... around the picture frames and small art; guess I was thinking about sticking beads on my forehead... too literal:)

I've printed out the 14 secrets, now that I've found them! Love, love, love your work and the effort you put into this group; it's my saving grace many days!

(Thank you Patti, it's absolutely my pleasure! - L)

Carol said:
I pondered your question, upon reflection, I make my life special by
taking time to make art.

I learned from a recent art class with Katy Kendrick to continue
adding layers even when you think you have enough..embellish away.
Putting just a little bit of gold at the right place.

Writing poetry is a reflection of the life I live in the mountains.
Each day, I find is very special.

I have six large sliver glittery stars in my studio and a wand made by
a friend sitting on my drawing table. Never know when you need just a
bit of magic.

How do the rest of you 14 secrets creative folks embellish your life?

HPNere said:
I have taken to wearing a very sparkly tiara to work when my life most
needs embellishment during the 9 to 5 hours. One day my friend ran out
to her car and came back and produced a pair of glass slippers to go
with it! It was a fairy tale afternoon- and just in time,with the way
things have been going in that office. But I think I might start
wearing some of my vintage 50's and 60's aprons to the office. Maybe
with my tiara...who knows?

Gioia said:
I think having babies embellished my life..of cource now they are
children they still embellish it, make it special--I have new worth
as I am tabitha & Annabel's mommy! above and beyond anything else I
very wanted to be, or actually been.....also teaching grad students,
and meeting with special friends, I feel bleassed to have these
people to be alive together.

But I also have sparkling lights I plug in and table fountain I plug
in to "embellish" a plain jane art studio with no widows at my new
work

also I'm fond of embellishing a bath with bubbles

those are my thoughts for now...

Lore said:
How do I embellish my life?
With art everyday!
With laughter.
Looking for good things in each day.
And 14 secrets.
To name a few..

Marilyn said:
An interesting question....I think keeping simplicity in life is an embellishment. Most of my creative efforts are on my screened porch overlooking the crystal blue of the pool. My lavender plant sends a wonderful fragrance when the breeze blows. My dogs and cat embellish my life now that I have the empty nest. Of course, my beautiful two year old granddaughter is the crowning jewel!! A really fun thing I did a few months ago was to invite my daughter's mother-in-law over for a spend the night "party." We stayed up until 1 talking about the kids...Had a super light dinner...Then we arose early to go to the "bohemian" market to get fresh vegetables and flowers! What a treat!!! Let's embellish some more!!

Barbara (Button Barbie) said:
Couldn't help but respond to how one embelishes their life. I notice everything about the day, whether or not it is bright and sunny or rainy or otherwise. The tone of the sky, the birds, little critters, designs of nature, objects on the ground such as found bird feathers, etc. All is a miracle. Also, viewing the art work of my students is a pleasure. I am very happy to belong to this group.
PS - Oh, and how could I have forgotten this! I hang the watercolor paintings of my godchild, Jasmine, who is 4 years old, on the glass of the french doors in my kitchen and porch! That is the best embellishment ever.

Jan said:
Oh, I so like the tiara, and sparkling shoes!

I am a little more tactile. Embellishment for me is a
bubble bath with candles, new perfume or splash, a
hair cut and curl, subtle nail polish, a new or
altered outfit, and without hesitation my wonderful
shared charm necklaces, bracelets, and other bangles.I
think there is a little Gypsy in me...I so enjoy the
jingle, jangle of jewels.

My environment is enriched with bits and pieces of art
I have received, made, and acquired in my junk hunts!
Lore's dried leaves, Carol's recent poem, Deb's shared
art beads, tiny, tiny vintage keys, thimbles, old
Victrola needles! Included with altered cabinet
pictures, fabric postcards, and family and friends
photos!!!

The butterfly lights sound wonderful too!

I have my wonderful space in a special corner in our
RV!

Lore added:
I have to add to my embellishments..
The fireworks of the mountains on my way to work! They are just a glow! I wish you could all see them.

Deb said:
I'm so enjoying reading about everyone's special embellishments.

Jan, I'm a lot like you - a little of the Gypsy in me - and love to have bits of found and received treasures all around. My embellishments are of a rather eclectic nature. I love vintage glass and old books. Old family portraits. Children's books, as well. I love the neat things others make and share with me. And sparkly stuff. I have a decorative bottle that I filled with beach sand mixed with iridescent glitter. It's my 'magic vacation in a bottle' whenever I need a little escape.

My desk is filled with a variety of crystals (some in old porcelain dishes) that I move around to catch the sunlight. I keep a beautiful amethyst on my art table. I love rocks and crystals and stones of all kinds and like to have them nearby to pick up and play with. I love candlelight, especially in the bath!

I still have some of my kids' old artwork around (and the youngest is 20). I miss the days of hanging their masterpieces in the windows! Although I do have many (many) of my oldest's recent photographs and pottery pieces all over the house.

And music. Always music.

The tiara at the office is great!

Carol added:
Nell, I am curious. Where do you work so that you have the enjoyment of
wearing a tiara?

And I, too love rainbows. There are so many prisms around the house and
stained glass windows in our house. My children and now grandchild
stands in the rainbow light amazed at the colors on her.

Just reading about embellishment, brightens my day.

This is fun!

No comments: